I had lovely comments and messages last week following my newsletter about taking time out … and by some coincidence, I read a fascinating article about stress this week … I shared it on my socials, but it’s here if you want to take a look.
It’s word-y, so I’ve tried to take the basic bullet points and write them here for you.
- 57% of all sick days in the UK in 2017/18, were due to stress, depression or anxiety
- Researchers have found that stress causes changes to the physical make up of the brain! They think that these changes can be reversed by long term stress rehabilitation.
- Replaying / mentally reliving a previous stressful experience can reactivate / rekindle those feelings, causing further anxiety. Some mindful meditation may invite repetitive negative thoughts in some people, whereas mind-body interventions like yoga & breathing techniques, or a connection with nature, can be better for recovery from stress.
- Stress in the workplace can impair decision making in much the same way as alcohol in the bloodstream!
- Bright light / blue light delays the release of melatonin, the hormone which reduces anxiety.
- Low intensity exercise reduces the amount of the stress hormone cortisol.
- An ultra processed diet is linked to depression – the gut DOES talk to the brain basically!
If you are a sufferer, or have tendencies to stress, anxiety or depression, I’m sure you will have read up on many articles & studies. Changing your life around can seem like a big hill to climb, but by making small changes as and when you feel able….small things, like improving your sleep – turn off the blue light! Reduce the scrolling! Try the breathing thing …! Walking in nature… yoga … , eat well. It seems that all these things can help. Of course the important thing is to consider medical help too … the professionals who deal with this every single day. Wishing you well 💜
The previous two FF Aerobathons have been for Mind the mental health charity …simply because so much more help is needed for vulnerable people. Unfortunately this year, Cancer has impacted the Flin’s Fitness community directly, through our own members and indirectly for many of our families. I would like to acknowledge this and am therefore supporting Cancer Research this year.
The Flin’s Fitness Charity Aerobathon 2019 is on SUNDAY October 27th, 10am til 1pm. Please save the date, and I will set up the page and event ready to announce at the beginning of September.
Rosie B is back this week, Jules has a week off and Carrie leaves us for 3, to get her Yoga training in Bali! She will return to take a mat Yoga, replacing the current stretch class. I’m covering the Barbell and really looking forward to it! Beth covers Jules 🙂 Lau disappears for a couple of weeks too, although all EMKS will be running still – li’l sis Rosie F takes on another early one.
Tracey returns on Thursday, so on Tuesday morning I will see you for HIIT, and Yoga “Rock Star” Kevin, aka Chubby Yogi, will cover for Tracey. See you there 😎
Kev is also taking us for Yoga at Newstead this morning at 10.30am …you are welcome to come along for the fun and the yoga education… drop in is £10 for the 75 minute session.
Drop in, or pre book here
We have another brilliant Buggy Beat Social on Thursday …. it’s 40 mins exercise (inside if it’s wet), followed by 20 mins chat and play. We had a lovely time at the last one … a great way to work on your fitness while your little one plays or sleeps, and also take some time out for you!
Booking link is here, drop ins welcome.
Please forward on to anyone who might want to join us 😊
THREE WEEKS til we start The Autumn Kick Start Elevate programme!
Great for you if:
– You want to get in shape after your holiday and need a tight structure to help focus!
– You have decided to improve and ELEVATE your health & fitness to the next level!
– You want to drop some body fat and look lean and strong.
– You want to dump some rubbish habits and reset your lifestyle.
All new workouts and a week by week structure, with daily coaching, to help you get fitter, stronger and be the best version of YOU!
Early Bird is still £97 for 12 weeks!!! This includes a digital recipe book download!
Link to view the 12 week schedule is here
|Week Commencing Aug 19th – Summer Hols Timetable
New = Newstead / WP = Westcombe Pk
Tub = Tubbenden
|MON||Total Body||9.30am||45 min||WP|
|MON||Essential Pilates||10.30am||50 min||WP|
|MON||Fight Klub||6.00pm||50 min||NEW|
|MON||Body Conditioning||6.45pm||45 min||Tub|
|MON||Body Conditioning||7.00pm||45 min||NEW|
|MON||Yoga Flow||7.30pm||55 min||Tub|
|TUE||Express HIIT||9.30am||40 min||WP|
|TUE||Cardio Abs Outside||6.45pm||45 min||Tub|
|TUE||Fitness Pilates||7.40pm||45 min||Tub|
|WED||Cross Train Stretch||9.30am||55 min||WP|
|WED||Cardio Ab Attack||6.45pm||45 min||NEW|
|WED||Fight Klub||7.30pm||50 min||NEW|
|THUR||PowerWave & Yoga Stretch||9.10am||50 min||WP|
|THUR||Buggy Beat – Class & Social Event||10.10am||11.30am||WP|
|THUR||Fitness Pilates||8.00pm||50 min||Tub|
|FRI||The Body Con Grid||9.30am||45 min||WP|
|FRI||Fitness Pilates||10.30am||50 min||WP|
|SAT||Barefoot Conditioning||10.10am||50 min||NEW|
|SUN||The Sunday Session||9.00am||50 min||NEW|
For who’s teaching when, check the Team Up dashboard on the Flin’s Fitness home page!